Kilpatrick Townsend’s Insurance Recovery team is recognized nationally and internationally for its successes in the preservation and recovery of insurance-related assets for policyholders. Our expanding team of lawyers is among the most experienced in the world, recovering billions of dollars through the negotiation, litigation, trial, and arbitration of insurance coverage disputes. The team is presently handling coverage disputes in California, the District of Columbia, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Texas, Washington and Puerto Rico, and also Asia, Europe, Africa, and South and Central America. The team represents Fortune 100 and other companies, company executives and nonprofit organizations, operating across all sectors, including aerospace, chemical, communications, construction, defense, entertainment, e-commerce, financial, retail and luxury goods, sports, and technology.
Kilpatrick Townsend’s Insurance Recovery team has been recognized by Legal 500 as a leading policyholder insurance recovery practice nationally, and has received a national first tier rank in US News - Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms” Rankings the past three years. Team members also have been honored individually by their clients and peers for their comprehensive insurance expertise in publications such as The Best Lawyers in America, Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, The International Who’s Who in Insurance & Reinsurance, Legal Media Group: Expert Guides, and Super Lawyers Magazine.
Team members also account for an impressive body of scholarship on insurance coverage issues, having published extensively in law reviews, insurance-industry magazines, and trade-association publications. In addition, the Practical Law Company (PLC) selected Kilpatrick Townsend as the exclusive panel firm on insurance law issues for the web-based and print publications it published for in-house counsel in the United States. Team members were the featured cover article in Practical Law Journal’s September 2011 issue. The issue featured a selection from the materials contained in the Insurance Policies and Coverage Toolkit maintained on PLC’s website.
The Insurance Recovery team has extensive experience representing and advising policyholders regarding a wide array of commercial insurance coverage issues and disputes involving all major lines of insurance. Among others, the team has handled coverage disputes involving:
- Cyber liability claims (including privacy issues)
- Technology and intellectual property (including patent, trademark and trade dress disputes, and copyright infringement)
- Claims arising from antitrust and related allegations
- Directors and officers liability insurance claims arising from alleged financial crimes and other alleged corporate misconduct, including governmental investigations as well as criminal and civil lawsuits
- Claims involving alleged director and officer liability and alleged errors and omissions of many other kinds, including shareholder derivative claims, employment-related events, and breach of fiduciary duty claims
- Bodily injury coverage claims (including claims arising out of catastrophic and/or latent workplace and product-related injuries)
- Idea submission, infringement, event cancellation, and feature film and television production-related coverage issues
- Claims arising from employment events, including workplace discrimination and sexual misconduct
- Products and other manufacturing-related liability claims, including complex disputes regarding the allocation of long-tail losses among multiple insurers and policies
- Claims for insurance company bad faith
- Property damage and business interruption losses resulting from catastrophic accidents (fires, explosions, water intrusion, etc.) and natural events (hurricanes, cyclones, etc.)
- Construction-related claims (including under professional liability policies, first-party property, environmental and builder’s risk policies, and performance bonds, as well as “additional insured” claims)
- Environmental liabilities (including cleanups, petroleum contamination, and toxic torts)
- International insurance claims (including arbitration and other international insurance recovery)
Working closely with our clients, we take pride in developing cost effective strategies to maximize the value and recovery of insurance assets, and in resolving sophisticated insurance claims disputes through a broad range of resolution alternatives, including litigation, arbitration, mediation, and negotiation.